Hang Up if Scammers Come Calling this Tax Season
The IRS issued an important reminder as tax season is upon us: If a scammer is calling, don’t be afraid to hang up the phone! It’s a popular time for people to attempt to make alarming or threatening phone calls posing as IRS agents. Here are a few things to remember:
The IRS will never:
- Call to demand immediate payment using a specific payment method, such as a prepaid debit card, gift card or wire transfer. In most cases, the IRS communicates via mail.
- Threaten to bring in local police or other law enforcement groups to have the taxpayer arrested for not paying.
- Demand the payment of taxes without giving the opportunity to question or appeal the amount owed.
- Call unexpectedly about a tax refund.
If you get a suspicious call, report it by visiting the Hotline page of Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration and using an IRS Impersonation Scam Reporting form or by calling 800-366-4484.
Final Regulations of Electronic Filing Mandate
The IRS also expanded its electronic filing mandate. You can read the full statement below. The main change is that an organization filing 10 or more returns or statements in a calendar year must file electronically in 2024. Previously, the threshold was 250 returns.
Payroll People has your business covered, as electronic filing is part of our current process.
Integrated Time Tracking: A Must-Have
Tracking employee time is vital to the success of any business, regardless of size or industry. Not only does it benefit the employer by ensuring accurate payroll and compliance with labor laws, but it also helps employees improve their time management skills and overall performance at work.
If your business doesn’t have a good way to track time, we can help. You can easily collect, manage, and process employee time, all from a single solution. The data flows seamlessly into the payroll module to pay employees accurately for the time worked. Other features include:
- Robust time collection methods (physical clocks, employee self-service, mobile tracking)
- Access to reports and analytics
- Alerts for late arrivals, early departures, missed punches, etc.
Move beyond outdated timesheets and manual tracking methods with a powerful time and attendance solution.